Monday, April 18, 2011

Lucky Pups

This is going to be another post about dogs-Cabbie included. If you aren't a dog person, it probably will bore you. First, I have been trying to figure out what type of toys Cabbie likes the best. At her obedience training, I have learned that I need to figure out which toys are Cabbie's favorite and make sure she only gets that when she has done something well, or right.  So far, this is what I have figured out....

Cabbie has this menagerie of toys....

All of which have been played with at one time or another. The little Christmas lion on the bottom has seen his better days, as well as the eyeless and scarfless reineer and earless purple rope monkey up near the top. However, all these relatively pricey toys run a distant second to....

Kitty's Rainbow ball 
as seen here:
and here:

I was afraid at first that she would eat it and get sick, but that hasn't happened. She loves it and takes it most places she goes :) Kitties don't mind...

Also, I found a charity that I think is doing amazing things-for animals and people. 

I first heard the story of Nubbs- the Iraqi dog that was rescued by a Marine and shipped home to live with him.  I read this story to my class each year. I struggle to keep dry eyes every time I read the story. I'm such a sap. 

Check out Nubbs and his Marine here.


I don't think Nubs's rescue had anything to do with Nowzad, but they help with dogs (and cats) in this situation.  I wanted to let those that might read my blog know about this wonderful charity.  It's called Nowzad. This wonderful organization was started by a British Royal Marine.  He befriend local dogs while he was serving in the Middle East. After seeing the way they were treated and the life they were forced to live there, he worked to get the dogs home to live with him and be his pets.  

Since he retired from the military he has created this organization with his wife to help as many dogs as possible.  These dogs are born into horrible conditions. They are often forced into fighting with other dogs as this is a common past time of locals.  Those not put in the fighting ring are left to fend for themselves and/or horribly mistreated.  
Here are some photos from their website (happy tails of rescued dogs and cats too!!). 



Aren't they just adorable!?!?

You can also find them on Facebook here. They also have videos on their website and Facebook. 

Because of this organization many of these dogs have found loving homes with Soldiers, Sailors and Marines who have befriended them during deployments.  The service men and women (from any nation, not just Great Britian-many dogs have been sent home to the US as well) contact the organization and they get the dogs to their shelter in Afghanistan. From there, they try to raise enough money, and go through all of the red tape in order to get the dog home. If you love dogs, military members, both, or neither, this is such a great organization.  I have learned there are other groups that do this same type of work, but I am familiar this one.  Anyone know of the others?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...